Sivaganga, located in the extreme south of India, was the larger portion of the Kingdom of Ramnad controlled was controlled by Raja Sasivarnan (1730 – 1750) who divided Ramnad into five parts and retained three for himself and his successors. He granted the two parts to Sasivarnan of Nalukottai conferring on him the title of “Rajah Muthu Vijaya Regunatha Peria Oodayan”.
Rulers of Sivaganga have been:
- Raja Sasivarnan (1730 – 1750),
- Raja Muthu Vaduganathan (1750 – 1772),
- Rani Velu Nachiyar (1772 – 1780)
- Maruthu brothers (1748-1801).
In 1801 the territory was annexed by the British.
A common feature of the copper coins from Sivaganga is the depiction of the ‘Shiv-linga’ on the coin’s Reverse decorated with garland (shown on the coin as an outline of dots). This signifies the Shaivite leaning of the Kings of Sivaganga. The name of the place itself (Siva + Ganga) associates it with the deity Shiva who holds the mighty river Ganga in his matted locks.
Disclaimer: While every attempt has been made to ensure that info provided is from reliable sources and correct, the item provided is “as is”, with no guarantee of completeness or accuracy. Please do your research to identify the item provided.